Tuesday, July 04, 2006

It's not love till you see 'em on the pot.

Fourth of July- wow. Last year I remember I'd been in the hospital, eating "braised beef with apples" - ugh- while Bobby visited friends at barbeques and smoked Cuban cigars, texting me of his buzz. At that point, I was so tired of being there, very tired of the meds and all the other stuff that goes along with that, and had no idea as I sat for a long time in silence, listening for the fireworks without being able to see them, that I'd be in and out intermittenly for the majority of the next 2 months. Bobby came by after and brought ribs and brownies, and we turned on the t.v., and I remember holding his hand and leaning on his shoulder and thinking, Please be careful of my IV and Thank God you're here to break this day up. Thank God you care enough to make this day do-able. And, of course, he slept on the convertable chair so I wouldn't be alone, but could still get some sleep. The day passed uneventfully, and I promised myself I would never again take a day for granted when I was able to simply walk outside or take a drive.

This has been quite a week on its own. Started out Thursday, going to get my chemo at the pharmacy, where we waited only an hour or two, when they called me up to inform me my insurance had been dropped.

Full blown panic.

Preceded to go to my new friend's house and deliberately tried to drown these troubles away, Hank Williams, Sr., style.

Friday, early, I went back to the hospital, this time the "Financial Counseling" department, trying to figure out what happened. Turns out, I had to have a copy of my lease with me to be seen (just as a general rule, I guess.) Bobby went, hunted down the landlord like a good bird dog, and brought it back an hour or so later. Then, presenting that, I could get on the list to be seen. Took another hour or two to get to the next step of being seen, when they simply called me back, reviewed documents, and reinstated the insurance, telling me I could go about being seen.
Went to oncology where they took blood for a CBC, and told me they'd call with results next week. Whatever. I've still heard nothing. Took the Procrit anyway because I knew I was extremely anemic. Tried to get the chemo from the Oncology department where I got shut out in the 9th inning and they told me I had to go to the real pharmacy to get it filled.

Went to the pharmacy across the street to get the chemo, waited another couple of hours, when they call me up and Bobby forces the pharmacist to explain to me that they're out of my chemo, because he was too afraid to do it himself. Finally got the chemo from (guess where!) Oncology yesterday. Crazy what I'll do to get this sh*t.

So, the good news is (kinda) that I haven't had chemo since last Tuesday, making me feel great and skyrocking the appetite along with the other sex drive, which, is awesome, of course.

Wow, this is a long, boring blog.

Bad news is, I'm a bit behind on the treatment schedule. But I guess it's been a good break. I'm just so ready to get it over with, and with only 6 vials left (and no refills), it's much closer than we all think. Hello No Mo Chemo Party!

Spent Sunday night out with a new couple of friends, doing the couples' thing. It was good time and fun to show some new kids around old Deep Ellum. Although the Boob and I are typically a little reclusive, I have to admit, even though the only thing I was on was Vitamin V, I was a good girl and we enjoyed it. Lots of couples invites this week, but we didn't take anybody else up. Maybe it's that we're reclusive, maybe it's that we really enjoy each other's company and everyone else pales. Either way, I'm good. A little too good sometimes, Fargo style good. Not woodchipper Fargo style, but Margie and her husband good. Youbetcha.

I've been a little under the weather since Monday morning, barely leaving the house. A long time ago, at Gilda's, someone told me that chemo would, eventually, cause gastric issues. I thought, having diarrhea the first 7 months, that this was the "gastric issue" they were referring to. NO, wrong. THIS must be the gastric issue they're referring to. Evidently, taking the pain meds on the reg has thrown the system for a loop. I won't get into details here, but it's been rough (see blog title). Hopefully it'll be over by tomorrow.

Anyway, time to take the chemo again. 6 vials left! Yeah!

-Miss M


faye said...

This is one of my favorite posts, and I can say this from experience b/c I --much like a stalker-- blog back-tracked and am pretty much caught up on the MM story now.

You and Boob are way too cool for us. Keep your standards low, b/c we really like you guys. Glad that it sounds like you two got some chemo-free qt together this weekend...thanks for sharing a little of that time w/ us!

Sylvie said...

Hi Miss M,
Thanks for this blog. I just love the pictures your posting, and your sense of humour. Hang in there, you're almost done. Kick that monster's ass!!

Anonymous said...

Lo - excuse Miss M
I get the title of your blog now - So ared you at 5 now???

I am so excited to see you.

Sarah said...

hey, what's that ginormous blingage on your wedding finger?


I'm Too Young For This!