Sunday, July 10, 2011

Separate Vacations

Every few years, Bobby and I do separate vacations.  This actually started sort of as an argument the first time. Hilarious.  It happened when I, in one of my not-so-noble moments, booked a vacay without Bobby.  In retaliation, he did the same, and two weeks later, when we were both back from our separate trips, we were better for the experience.  We were both reminded of what independence feels like, happy with ourselves, and more appreciative of our love for each other.  I don't know, but I'm guessing that separate vacations either make you love what you have or realize that you need to make a change.  And for me, it also makes me really evaluate what I love and how I would spend my time if I wasn't thinking so much about someone else, which is not only good for me, but good for the relationship.


Getting to watch tons of bad tv completely guilt free isn't too shabby either. lol

Yes, that's right: I'm on a stay-cation.  B went off to LA in pursuit of all kinds of worldly comedian knowledge, and I decided to kick it right here at the casa.  The warehome.  The old homestead.  It's day 3 today, which I have designated "cleaning day." Day 4 will be "art day."  These days were preceded by "sit on the couch day" and "healthy indulgence day."
 


Both  day 1 and day 2 were allotted extra time for bad tv.  This included The League (my fave), Southpark (of course), Jersey Shore (eek!), Bones, Psych, The Unusuals, Celebrity Ghost Stories (I am such a sucker for these!), Archer, along with lots of Food Network, and also Samantha Who?, which I just now found.
Yes, Samantha Who? is a bit cheesy, but I just love the idea of waking up and being completely wiped clean from the person you were the day before.  On the show, she has retrograde amnesia, and wakes in the hospital to find that she has no memory of her life before a hit and run accident 8 days before.  So she sets out to find out who she is, and progressively realizes that she was a horrible human being.   The funniest part is when she asks people to describe her to herself.

Pretty interesting, right?  Can you imagine waking up tomorrow and having to ask people what you are like?  What are your favorite foods?  What is your job?  Do you like your job? Do you like yourself?  Do you like your family?  Your friends?  Your life?

To just add to that, ask yourself this- if you asked the people closest to you WHO you are, would they even know? Dr. Phil has this thing he calls a personal truth.  I'm not a big Dr. Phil fan, but I love what his says about it.

"Decide what your personal truth is. Every single one of us has one — something we believe about ourselves when nobody else is watching. Our personal truth is what we really say to ourselves when our social mask is off. Once you decide what your personal truth is, then you'll be less vulnerable to what others say.  Personal truth is so important bc I think we generate the results in our life that we believe we deserve.  If you have a damaged personal truth, you generate the results that match that.  When we grow up, people write on the slate of who we are.  People like parents write on our slate.  But the most tragic thing of all is when we pick up the pen and start writing and we write the same things they did."


So there's a little something for you to chew on all week: who are you, and do you like who you've become?  Would you like a description of yourself?

Rest assured that am asking myself these questions, too.  It's what I'm focusing on this week, too.  I'm focusing on the part of the description that I want to change.

It's a great stay-cation!  Namaste!

-MM

3 comments:

Bob B. said...

Good posting, as always. Several interesting things to think about!

Enjoy your stay.

Kimmer said...

nFab idea, MM. Time to yourself seems like a great idea. One question though...what the heck is a healthy indulgence? An oxymoron?
Please spill, 'cos I just do the regular indulgences(like too much pound cake when my MIL was visiting last week) and wind up with a bigger butt.
Love to ya, S.A.

Petra said...

Separate vacations. Brilliant. I'm stocking that idea away for when N*Sync gets back together and tours. It's got to happen, right?

You should read Remember Me? by Sohpie Kinsella. Samantha Who? sounds similar.

i2y

I'm Too Young For This!