Thursday, April 26, 2012

Photo Sunday, slightly delayed


We're just skipping over the awkwardness of how I'm doing and going straight to photo Sunday.  And yes, it's Wednesday.


If you've read this blog at all, you know that I'm very anti-Dallas.

But I swear my little neighborhood, Deep Ellum, makes me feel like I could be anywhere- Austin, San Diego, Denver even maybe?  It's so angsty and anti-establishment it, even I feel like an artist.  :)


I've been doing pretty well with my required pt at home.  The walks are the hardest part, but I distract myself by trying to find cool little hidden niches.  This Sunday I decided to snap a few pics for you guys to get a healthy taste of the only acceptable place to live in Dallas.










Seems like you can hardly find a lamp post or street sign here that hasn't been defaced in some way.  The original art is always entertaining, but I have to admit that I have a thing for an appropriately placed sticker tarnishing a shiny new stop sign. :)






Band posters are ever intriguing to me, and you can find them everywhere in this area- a tribute to the streets that have been considered a musical hotspot in the South since the 1920's.  Those ghosts still haunt the area, and regardless of the ebbs and flows of popularity, the roots are deep and music venues monopolize the area. 





The other third of the businesses you'll see in Deep Ellum are tattoo parlors, much to my heart's delight.  In my mind, tattoos are closely linked to the kind of dissent that keeps a country honest with itself.  I saw a documentary some years ago (was it Sicko?), and I remember distinctly a woman from it saying, "In France, the government is afraid of the people.  In American, the people are afraid of the government."  I know that France earned that right with years and years of rebellion, which I hope America is on the cusp of.   


At least in my neighborhood, I feel like it could be a possibility. 








After walking around  for a while


and seeing so much cool art, 



I was inspired to take a few artsy photos of my own....
of the dog,

a cool old newspaper I found, 


even a sign that I found ironic. :)


 By the end, even the "Visit Myrtle Beach" sky-writing seemed like art. :)


-MM



8 comments:

Bob B. said...

Very cool! That's high-class graffiti you've got there and some very good pix of it. Keep up the good work and I hope you find your way back to a healthy state RSN.

John's Brain said...

I love your blog great pictures and honesty.

katemiffy@hotmail.com said...

miss melanoma i would like to email you to talk. I've been following your blog for a long long time. I was diagnosed with stage 3b melanoma in September 2009. I did interferon and all that. I haven't had any scans since october 2009. I am scheduled for another scan in next month.

Miss Melanoma said...

Of course! Email me at missmelanoma@missmelanoma.com

Lilupida said...

Miss Melanoma hung on in there girl!
I believe I know how you feel because I feel the same way: I am a statuette made of clay and I have an obstacle race ahead of me. I begin to run it and I think "oh, it is not so bad; I can take it", but every time I think I am arriving to the end there is more tract to run and on top of that I begins to rain. And the water begins to break me up. I keep going but I am loosing miself on the way.
It is pretty bad, but it is our very second of life, our very present what counts. Even if this present is very painful and we only can be motionless, no breathing even so it hurts less. It is ours to feel it because we are still alive. It sucks, but it is what it is.
All my love to you MM.

Carter BloodCare said...

Great pictures! We love Deep Ellum too. We celebrate the gift of life and our mission is to try to help others enjoy it as much as possible. Learn more about what we do here: http://bit.ly/LkrEzP

kaney said...

Some of the symptoms of possible canine melanoma are not as obvious as the typical irregular or odd colored lesion. Things to look for include: unusually bad breath, bleeding of the mouth or gums, loose teeth, poor appetite, excessive drooling, coughing or trouble swallowing, and noticeable weight loss.

petadolex reviews

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

i2y

I'm Too Young For This!